Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 
HOME
FOREWORD
GROW WITH THE FLOW
WATER FOR ALL
CONSERVE, VALUE, ENJOY
IN THE PIPELINE
 
Information at your fingertips
  FOREWORD
 
GROW WITH THE FLOW
   
 
Grow With The Flow
   
 
Water For All
 
With long-term vision and concerted planning, Singapore was able to take a holistic approach in water management and put in place a longterm water supply strategy to ensure water for all. With the Four National Taps, Singapore is assured of a robust water supply system.

Today, water demand is about 380 million gallons a day (mgd) or 1,730,000 cubic metres a day (m3/day).

This is expected to double in the next 50 years, with about 70% of the demand coming from the non-domestic sector, and domestic consumption making up the other 30%.

Here we lay out some of the longterm plans already in place to meet the doubling of water demand. In the next 10 years, we plan to achieve the following targets.
 
Four National Taps
FOUR NATIONAL TAPS
 
By 2060, we plan to triple the current NEWater capacity so that NEWater can meet 50% of our future water demand. We also intend to ramp up desalination capacity by almost 10 times so that desalinated water will meet at least 30% of our water demand in the long term.
 
All these can be done in a land-efficient manner. The highly-compact designs of the current NEWater and desalination plants can be easily replicated to meet the growing demand for water.

Also, to find more economical and efficient ways to produce and treat water, Singapore will continue to invest in research and development (R&D). For example, the main reason for the higher treatment costs for desalination is due to its intensive energy consumption. Research efforts are ongoing to find ways to reduce the energy consumption so as to lower its overall treatment cost.

These R & D efforts are not only for strengthening our water supply. Globally, Singapore is increasingly seen as a model of sustainable water management and we have been exporting our expertise overseas, besides nurturing a global hub for water technologies here.

The annual Singapore International Water Week, with more than 10,000 delegates each year, is growing from strength to strength.

Our mid-term goal is to grow value-added contribution from the water sector from $0.5 billion (0.3% of GDP) in 2003 to $1.7 billion (0.6% of GDP) by 2015. Jobs for this sector are expected to double to about 11,000 in 2015.
  2020 TARGETs
 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

   
 
PREVIOUS NEXT