What to do During a Flash Flood
PUB advises pedestrians, motorists and residents to exercise caution during the monsoon season when flash floods may suddenly and quickly occur in the event of heavy storms.
If you are outside during a flood:
- Do not walk into flooded areas. If you see a flooded area ahead, turn back and move immediately to higher ground as floodwater may rise suddenly. Stay there until the flood subsides.
- Be aware of drains especially open drains and areas known to flood suddenly.
- Do not walk through moving water. 15cm of moving water can make you fall. If you have to walk in water, walk where the water is not moving. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. 30cm of water may stall your car. 60cm of water can carry away most vehicles including SUVs. If floodwater rises around your car and stalls it, leave your car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
If you are at home or in your shop/office:
Residents / Business Owners
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- If you live in low-rise housing, secure your home/shop/office. Move essential items to an upper floor.
If you must prepare to evacuate:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves. Disconnect electrical appliances.
Protect your belongings