PUB adopts three key strategies for stormwater management:
- Providing adequate drainage ahead of new developments
- Implementing flood protection measures
- Continual drainage improvement
To support the nation's urbanisation and development needs, planning for new drainage infrastructure and upgrading of existing drains are done in consultation with key planning agencies and authorities. These organisations include Urban Redevelopment Authority, Building & Construction Authority, Land Transport Authority, Housing & Development Board and JTC Corporation.
PUB continuously monitors upcoming developments and upgrades the drains and canals promptly to:
- alleviate flooding
– identify and remove constrictions/bottlenecks in existing drains/canals
- meet drainage current standards
– cope with the needs of increased runoff from developments
- rehabilitate drains
– fix deteriorating drains
PUB also ensures that development proposals submitted by architects, consultants and public agencies comply with the planning, design and construction specifications stipulated in the Code of Practice on Surface Water Drainage. For example, Drainage Reserve Area within a development site is disallowed for other purposes except drainage.